4/07/2010

Why Does the Moon Turns Red?

My mother told us one night last holy week that she woke up in the middle of the night and saw the moon in reddish in color...
I remember that I also saw a red moon once when I was in high school.
It was 5:15 to 5:30 in the morning.
I remember its color being red to red-orange.
It was really spooky to see it red..
It is really big as if it's going to fall down on earth.
A very unusual thing to see.

I'm really curious about the red color...
How does the moon turn red?

I tried to search the Web bout this thing..
It turned out that the moon would most likely turn red during lunar eclipse...
And the dust and air pollution here on earth would cause it to be in reddish color.

These sites explains how it happens:
Why does the moon turn red?
Why does the moon turn red during lunar eclipse?